- User Rating Me
- Latest Version
- PuTTY 0.76
- Open Source
- Feb 07, 2019
- Ad Support
- System Requirements
- Windows XP / Vista / Windows 7 / Windows 8 / Windows 10
Description about PuTTY
PuTTY is a free implementation of SSH and Telnet for Unix and Windows platforms. It comes along with an Xterm terminal emulator. This client software is for Telnet, SSH, and Rlogin network protocols. Lately, an improvement has been seen in the reviews of this tool. That is due to the new version 0.76 that was released on [date] for Windows XP / Vista / Windows 7 / Windows 8 / Windows 10 users. This ultimate update by the developers of PuTTY might impress you as well. Download the PuTTY software and check out the best of its features.
This tool offers a command-line interface that is easily customizable. PuTTY happens to be a cross-platform program that is available to users with a source code. Additionally, the users can run other operating systems on their devices. Plus it uses cryptography ciphers to keep your data safe and out of the hands of hackers.
What’s new in PuTTY?
One of the most notable updates in the latest version is the security and bug-fix release. There is also a new configuration option available as a backup for authentication prompt spoofing by a compromised SSH server. Additionally, the pageant now supports loading a key that is still encrypted. The user can choose to decrypt it later by prompting the passphrase.
Furthermore, the default SSH key can now be converted into OpenSSH-style SHA-256. Even the terminator supports ESC [ 9 m for strikethrough text. The new protocols are introduced as well.
PuTTY is open-source software for Windows devices that allows users to transfer data safely. This must-have tool especially for developers. The integration of a transfer tool, a serial console, and a terminal emulator makes it an efficient tool. Although, one must remember that this version is updated for advanced users, hence, the features are highly advanced and complex. That being said, it also comes with a CLI (Command Line Interface) that manages to manipulate significant functions.
Moreover, its ability to customize every option in the application allows the user to configure it according to their requirements. Professional users can easily use this app to configure their network connections. Additionally, the installation process is quite simple. Once you install the PuTTY app, it will automatically launch and walk you through the installation quickly. Overall, PuTTY is an outstanding choice for developers.
Features and Highlights
- Customizable: It allows the user to change its appearance, behavior, color, and controls. It also allows you to configure the network connections.
- Terminal emulation: This feature lets you run different OS on your device. This software also allows you to run Android, MAC, and iOS applications on your Windows computer.
- Promises data safety: It uses cryptography ciphers to protect your data safely and securely.
- Various protocols: The user is provided with various protocols for safe connections and sharing.
- Highly advanced tools: This application is specially made for professional developers. So, all the features in the program are pretty complex and advanced.
- Compatible: The software is quite compatible with most of the Windows versions.
Pros of using PuTTY
The following are the perks of using this tool:
- Easy to customize
- Safe to use
- Data security
- Terminal emulation
- Straightforward installation process
Cons of using PuTTY
The limitations that you will come across while using this application are given below:
- Overwhelming for beginners
- No support for scripting
In conclusion, this open-source tool has a lot to offer. PuTTY can easily be used to emulate other OS or to transfer data safely over a public network. SSH, Telnet, and SCP are some of the transfer options that are often seen in the application.
Moreover, PuTTY ensures to restrict the access of any unauthorized user to any of your sensitive data or information. This free application also comes with a command-line UI that happens to be beneficial to advanced users. Needless to say, the reviews were pretty convincing and now we know why. If you are looking for such functionalities on your Windows computer, then download PuTTY, an open-source utility tool for developers.